When people are mercury toxic, very often they have other problems, too: mold, Lyme, parasites*. Copper fixes all of these problems. Here’s how to detox:
5 mg copper: break it up into 2-3 times a day, taken with milk, or almond milk, citrus juice, or food like rice, to ease nausea. You can use any copper supplement, they all work.
5-10 mg zinc, at night, to help sleep, and help reduce allergic reactions (rashes, sneezing, etc.) to the copper. Any zinc, they all work.
200 mcg selenium. (micrograms) (which is 0.2 mg) often sold as micrograms. Best brand is “Ionic Silica” at amazon, “Good State” brand.
Why does it work?
All three, copper, zinc, and selenium, are needed to make metallothionein, a copper/zinc/selenium enzyme. Metallothionein detoxes mercury, lead, arsenic, and other heavy metals.
“MTs have the capacity to bind both physiological (such as zinc, copper, selenium) and xenobiotic (such as cadmium, mercury, silver, arsenic) heavy metals through the thiol group of its cysteine residues”
Cysteine is a common amino acid, present in most meat, and beef is a good source high in cysteine.
(Metallothionein is the same enzyme that “zinc makes” which detoxes and lowers copper and can create a “zinc induced” copper deficiency. At 15:1 zinc to copper, you will induce a copper deficiency. This is why you have to balance the zinc and copper more at the 1:1 ratio.)
How do you know if you are mercury toxic?
If you have had mercury fillings. Shots. Exposure to fluorescent light bulbs, especially broken bulbs.
Are you sensitive to sulfur or high sulfur foods like garlic, eggs, or spinach? That usually indicates mercury toxicity.
After you clear out most of your mercury, start with eating spinach. Then eggs, then garlic. If you can tolerate those foods again, that is your test you are on track. In fact, try to push it.
Sulfur is “intolerable” because it is a GREAT detoxer, it even helps mercury detox. But not good enough on its own for mercury, and you need those other nutrients more, and first. So do sulfur last. There is also MSM sulfur, as a supplement that people take.
*Parasites might be considered “good” if they are helping you detox mercury. Who knows. They might be. Mold’s job in nature is to help decompose biological material. It might be helping to clean up dead cells, or cells dying from mercury.